Kasaragod (Keralam) | On Onam day, MPs from Keralam will take their protest to the streets with a hunger strike against the Centre’s move to bifurcate the Palakkad railway division and shift stations, including Mangaluru, to the Mysuru division, leaders said on Sunday.
The recent Railway Board decision to shift Mangaluru from the Palakkad division to the Mysuru division has triggered widespread protests in Keralam.
Congress MPs Rajmohan Unnithan and VK Sreekandan separately announced the hunger strike by MPs from Keralam before Palakkad Railway Divisional Office to reporters in Kasaragod and Palakkad.
Speaking to reporters, Kasaragod MP Unnithan said people in his constituency, which is located close to the Karnataka border, would be the worst affected by the decision and strongly opposed the move.
“The people of Kasaragod are going to suffer the most. Therefore, we can never accept this decision. All of us MPs sent an email message to the Railway Minister,” he said.
He said that MPs from Keralam will take part in the protest.
"The traditional concept of Onam is that Keralities should celebrate and have their Onam feast even if it means selling their earnings. As MPs from Keralam, we have decided to observe a hunger strike on Thiruvonam day in front of the Palakkad Divisional Commercial Superintendent office from 9 am to 6 pm against the neglect shown by the BJP government toward Malabar (North Keralam), Kasaragod, and Keralam,” he said.
He said that it will be the first phase of our protest.
“If this protest does not yield results, all of us MPs have decided to march to Delhi. The second phase of the protest will be decided later,” he said.
Unnithan claimed that the Railway Minister was unaware of the move.
“Finally, now the Minister says, ‘I was not aware.’ Furthermore, the Railways in Chennai was not aware. The GM was not aware. Then who issued this order? Without the Union Minister knowing, and without the Railway officer in Chennai knowing, who made this decision?” he asked.
The railway is yet to respond to the allegations by leaders in Keralam.
He said people in Keralam would not accept the move.
“Therefore, this injustice is shown towards Keralam. The BJP government is showing injustice and neglect towards Keralam in all sectors. We can never accept that neglect,” he said.
He said the creation of the Salem division in 2007 had already affected the revenue base of the Palakkad division.
He said the Palakkad division had subsequently relied heavily on revenue generated through Mangaluru port.
“From that port, movement of petroleum products, coal, chemical fertilisers, we get revenue. That money, amounting to around Rs 600 crore, is what is going to be lost through this decision,” he said.
Unnithan said the bifurcation would also make it more difficult to take decisions concerning the northern districts of Keralam, as railway matters would have to be coordinated with two divisions.
“Now, it was requested to extend several trains ending at Kannur to Kasaragod and Mangaluru. For this extension, we contacted the Palakkad division and the Railway office in Chennai. Now, we have to seek permission from two Railway divisions,” he said.
He said he had also been demanding that Kumbla railway station in Kasaragod be developed as a satellite station and questioned how such projects could be taken forward if the Palakkad division loses its revenue base.
Unnithan said that the central government's decision to make Mangaluru part of the Mysuru Division is "politically motivated" and shrouded in secrecy.
“We understand the decision was taken at the behest of the BJP in Karnataka. This decision amounts to neglecting Keralam and insulting and humiliating the state. Therefore, we can never accept this decision,” he said.
Palakkad MP VK Sreekandan also told media that there will be a hunger strike in front of the Palakkad railway division office on August 26, when Onam will be celebrated in Keralam.
“A hunger strike by MPs from Keralam, particularly the MPs from the Malabar region, has been planned in front of the Palakkad Division office. The decision is to hold the satyagraha at the divisional headquarters, with maximum participation,” he said.
He alleged that the Union Railway Minister is misleading people, claiming that he was unaware of the move.
“If a Union Railway Minister says that he was unaware of the bifurcation of an important division, especially one of the highest-revenue-generating divisions in South India, isn’t that misleading the people? If Mangaluru is removed from the Palakkad Railway Division, Palakkad is going to become the only division in India from which no train originates and where no train service operates,” he said.
Chief Minister V D Satheesan has written to the Union government opposing the move.
Leaders of both the UDF and LDF have also come out against the decision.